- February 24, 2022 - 1 – 2 pm
Introduction to De'VIA: Art & the Deaf Experience
Co-presented by the Doris McCarthy Gallery and Tangled Art + Disability
#CripRitual artist and Doris McCarthy Gallery Educator-in-Residence Maryam Hafizirad presents a talk about Deaf View/Image Art (also known as De'VIA). Maryam will approach this topic from her perspective as a Deaf visual artist, sharing her work and lived experience as part of the presentation. As outlined in the De’VIA Manifesto (1989), De’VIA is created when artists explore Deaf experience on a personal, cultural, or physical level, using formal art elements. De’VIA elements include:
• Intense and contrasting colours;
• Contrasting textures and values that highlight Deaf experience;
• Emphasis on eyes, mouths, ears and hands;
• Motifs and metaphors, insights and perspectives that reflect Deaf experience.
This program is free and open to the public. The program will be hosted on Zoom and will have ASL interpretation and captioning. If you have other accommodation needs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org when registering.